Re: kernel-patch-debian-2.6.8 and pristine linux 2.6.8 kernel

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 12:16:04AM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 01:13:08AM +0300, Shaul Karl wrote:
> > >
> > > That statement is wrong.  We'll have to fix it.
> > >

> >   Why kernel-patch-debian can not have that quality (of applied to
> > pristine linux kernel)? Doesn't it a service to the users and helps them
> > to avoid running diff by themselves? Being able to tell where one's
> > kernel differs from someone else kernel helps when discussing and
> > learning the kernel.
>
> Talk to the firmware-removal zealots.

  Do you mean that distributing the diffs with lines like

-# a line that it was decided not to distribute
-# another line that shouldn't be distributed
-# yet another one

is similar to distributing lines that it was decided not to distribute?
If so, can't the debian-patch package have a shell script that rm the
entire files with the these sort of problems and then have the diff only
contain the lines that were approved?
  I hope that this arrangements is acceptable by everyone while still
helping at least users who are mostly interested in the code that Debian
does distributes. Hopefully these are most of the users.
--
"If you have an apple and I have  an apple and we  exchange apples then
you and I will still each have  one apple. But  if you have an idea and I