Re: kernel-patch-amd64

Hi,

Hell, my own automatisms fooled me, my previous message was supposed to
be postponed and not to be sent.

In short: I am still evaluating if I will upload a kernel-patch-amd64
package at all, and if I will, what it will contain. I hope my first
mail concerning this was not too early in this case.

I am successfully testing the amd64.org patch for a while now, but there
are more changes in bitkeeper too wich are worth a closer look. And the
amd64.org patch is of partially experimental nature, possibly breaking
stuff.

But, amd64 support in the kernel is still evolving fast, check the
changelogs for the last couple of 2.6 releases. Considering the 2.6
release cycles are slowing down, I think it is a good idea to track an
amd64 patch - at least in experimental - so users can get bugfixes and
new features faster, until upstream full release support is so stable
we can happily drop the patch.

Besides, this patch will for sure not end the 2.4-hppa way, possibly
never being merged upstream - in fact, it contains mainly code wich is
intended to be included into the next full linux release.

Kind regards
Frederik Schueler

--
ENOSIG