Re: kernel-patch-amd64

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 03:33:06PM +0200, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> Hi, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > And sorry, upto now, your only arguments where dogma, white space and the
> > monolitic nature of the patch.
>
> If you s/dogma/experience with handling kernel patches/, all three points
> are entirely valid reasons to reject a patch.  (NB: you want "were".)
>
> Split the thing now. You'll save yourself a whole lot of future work,
> bugs, and frustration.

And in the meantime, the user gets left in the Cold. I still don't see
how any of those arguments explain why not propose the patch as is,
_WHILE_ working on splitting it and cleaning it up. Since you are not
the first that gives me this reasoning, maybe i am stupid or something,
please explain it to me in simple words.

> Besides, submitting the patch Upstream requires that this work gets
> done anyway. Andrew/Linus won't consider applying big one-hunk patches.

Sure, but we are not discussing patches to be submitted upstream here,
altough this is a worthy goal, but the patches included in our debian
packages. And i do believe that service to our users should come first
before submission of patches upstream, and not the other way around, as
it seems is the current politic.

Again, maybe i am stupid or out of touch, i seem to be the only one
arguing so, and many are arguing against me, so i am starting to doubt
about this.