Re: Open a discussion about bug 253324

Alle 02:01, mercoledì 30 giugno 2004, Andres Salomon ha scritto:

> >> I want to "open" a discussion about this bug on the debian-kernel
> >> mailing list:
> >> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=253224

> Heh, when I first saw this post, I was ready to agree w/ Herbert (feh,
> unnecessary eyecandy).

Same to me.

> Then I went to the page; the screenshots are
> impressive.

Yes! It will really helps the "debian desktop experience" IMHO.

> I'd be up for adding this sort of thing, as long as the
> impact to users who don't want it (in disk space, memory, and
> processor cycles) is minimal.

The kernel patch is small, the userspace is trival and the media space is 1%
of e.g. kde-artworks eye candy stuff.

> I recently set up a Debian box for my mom,
> and she asked about all the obscure boot messages that come up; it would
> be nice to have a graphical display that could hide all that.

Same to me here too, but instead of my mom, she was m girlfriend and a low
techie friend that bought a computer from me (debian-only obviously, no
double boot or such).

The low techie people I came across think that anything beside graphics are
"old computing" or recovery broken things... so a bootsplash help they to
trust the operating system (the computer as whole object from their point of
view).

Suse already has bootsplash (it seems that they pushed some developing in it
also), and debian is just a few patch away from it (mainly mkinitrd support
and a kernel-patch).

But if the debian-kernel team agree on not having bootsplash support, I will
be silent until I can make easy (not more word but patch bytes!) for your
team to add it.

BTW: is the next kernel-source-2.6.7 including dm-snapshot and dm-mirror lkms
or we'll get them only in 2.6.8??

--
Marco Amadori <elessar@dei.unipd.it>