Re: rebooting after upgrade alway a complete mess

I've spent huge time perusing the journalctl -b -n output: this is why I
haven't came sooner here.
I might have found a couple of things, but not sure yet.
I, below, answer the questions you asked.

On Saturday, May 27, 2017 8:02:02 PM CEST Felix Miata wrote:
> inkbottle composed on 2017-05-27 17:47 (UTC+0200):
>
> Please provide output from 'lspci -nnk | grep -A4 VGA' so that we can know

$ lspci -nnk | grep -A4 VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core
processor Graphics Controller [8086:0166] (rev 09)
        Subsystem: Lenovo 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller [17aa:
21fa]
        Kernel driver in use: i915
        Kernel modules: i915

processor is:
https://ark.intel.com/products/65708/Intel-Core-i5-3210M-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz-BGA

So probably Ivy Bridge

> precisely which Intel gfx you have. If it turns out to be Ivy Bridge, then
> that's what your Googling should include. Also find your Xorg.0.log and put
> it on https://paste.debian.net/ so we can see whatever Xorg errors are

I put Xorg.1.log because there were 2 errors
(/dev/dri/card0: failed to set DRM interface version 1.4: Permission denied)
and none on Xorg.0.log
http://paste.debian.net/949097/

> produced.
> > Thanks for the command...
> > It happens there are tones of errors,
> > from 3 sources
> > kscreen                       (like journalctl -b -3|egrep kscreen|wc -l
> > =>
> > 26390)
> > sddm-greeter (and sddm)
> > systemd
>
> ISTR recently seeing KDE people with sddm errors solve their trouble by
> switching to a different display manager, TDM, lightdm, KDM, GDM, so
> including sddm in your Googling too might produce fruit.
>
> > Actually everything broke, and kscreen has huge difficulties dealing with
> > the dual screen
> >
> > Minutes ago, kde failed to remember that the laptop screen is not to be
> > used and that it is the external screen that is used; which has
> > consequence that when I turned the external screen on and start typing
> > the screen remained off because of no input...
> >
> > Had to go in the cupboard to reach the laptop, open the lid, and see
> > things
> > went awry, completely.
> >
> > Also, I recall it is not a new error, it is sth that's running for months,
> > if not years
> >
> > plasma + multiple monitors,
> > sddm not showing cursor,
> > mpv and compositor
> > are also errors with many occurrences on the net
>
> It's possible the instructions on:
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/05/msg00781.html
> may be equally applicable to you.

Yes it is: I use "modesetting";
I did, a couple of month ago, forced the use of the "former" "intel driver",
with the help of people on #debian, but it wasn't as good as "modesetting",
for reasons I don't remember.

However there is sth showing in the "phoronix" link:
"Now all relevant Intel hardware will be using xf86-video-modesetting, which
accelerates 2D operations over OpenGL using the generic GLAMOR module..."

In Setting>Compositor Settings for Desktop Effects
There is a possible choice for the "rendering backend"
OpenGL 3.1
OpenGL 2.0
XRendr
There is also:
"Allow applications to block compositing"

I have chosen OpenGL 2.0 and "allow"
But that at random.

I think there is, there, a relation with the issues related to "mpv"

But I don't know the choice I made is not the best however.