Re: rebooting after upgrade alway a complete mess

kamaraju kusumanchi composed on 2017-05-28 11:00 (UTC-0400):

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> ISTR recently seeing KDE people with sddm errors solve their trouble by
>> switching to a different display manager, TDM, lightdm, KDM, GDM, so including
>> sddm in your Googling too might produce fruit.

> Not sure if you are aware. There is no kdm in either testing or unstable.

>  % rmadison kdm
> kdm        | 4:4.8.4-6     | oldstable       | amd64, armel, armhf,
> i386, ia64, kfreebsd-amd64, kfreebsd-i386, mips, mipsel, powerpc,
> s390, s390x, sparc
> kdm        | 4:4.11.13-2   | stable          | amd64, arm64, armel,
> armhf, i386, mips, mipsel, powerpc, ppc64el, s390x
> kdm        | 4:4.11.13-2   | stable-kfreebsd | kfreebsd-amd64, kfreebsd-i386

That's unfortunate, because it means there is no longer a full-featured QT-based
DM in standard Debian repos. Latest Fedora and openSUSE still provide it, even
though upstream long ago discontinued it in favor of an incomplete feature set
that isn't even part of the KDE project.

The drop escaped my notice because Trinity provides the only DE & DM I depend on
in Debian. My use of KDE in Debian is limited primarily to selected apps, e.g.
Kdenlive.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/