Re: Btrfs & Dolphin

On 12/09/16 07:20 AM, Leslie S Satenstein wrote:
Would you not say that xfs is preferred over ext4?  In benchmarks and recovery exercises, it appears to come out ahead for performance and recovery.

The negative aspect of deploying xfs is that once the partition size is set, you cannot add or reduce it's size without a reformat of that partition.

I am using it on a workstation for /boot, / and /var.  My next upgrade will include /home.

That's a different discussion entirely. Since I'm considering switching from Ext4, the question is which is the best option. XFS has its devotees and I even used it for a while (I also used ReiserFS for a while) before returning to the Ext fold.

When looking for a replacement, I want a file system that is generally superior to what I am using now. XFS offers good performance but lacks other modern features like error checking and correction. I wouldn't rate it as clearly superior to Ext4.