Re: Btrfs & Dolphin

Am Dienstag, 13. September 2016, 23:23:08 CEST schrieb Gary Dale:
> On 12/09/16 07:20 AM, Leslie S Satenstein wrote:
> > Would you not say that xfs is preferred over ext4?  In benchmarks and
> > recovery exercises, it appears to come out ahead for performance and
> > recovery.
> >
> > The negative aspect of deploying xfs is that once the partition size
> > is set, you cannot add or reduce it's size without a reformat of that
> > partition.
> >
> > I am using it on a workstation for /boot, / and /var.  My next upgrade
> > will include /home.
>
> That's a different discussion entirely. Since I'm considering switching
> from Ext4, the question is which is the best option. XFS has its
> devotees and I even used it for a while (I also used ReiserFS for a
> while) before returning to the Ext fold.
>
> When looking for a replacement, I want a file system that is generally
> superior to what I am using now. XFS offers good performance but lacks
> other modern features like error checking and correction. I wouldn't
> rate it as clearly superior to Ext4.

XFS and Ext4 have metadata checksumming. But only BTRFS has data checksumming.

A XFS developer from Oracle currently implements back references,
deduplication and even more checksumming, but I think its still only metadata
checksumming, Heise Open Thorsten Lemhuis wrote about data checksumming
instead. I don´t know where this is heading, but at a point in time maybe XFS
even gains snapshots. That said there where patches for snapshotting Ext3/4 as
well.

Of course any of this is off topic here.

--
Martin