Re: So I have a Plasma 5 desktop!

Am Sonntag, 12. Juli 2015, 12:13:02 schrieb Michael Schuerig:
> On Sunday 12 July 2015 11:05:19 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > It didn´t take me long to restore it to a state I am happy with.
>
> I'm not yet happy, but if it is the way forward, I have to bite the
> bullet now, it seems. I do think Plasma 5 could have spend some more
> time in experimental. But I can't really complain, I asked for
> "unstable" and that's what I got.
>
> Anyway, some features appear to have been lost in the upgrade. Here's
> what I'm missing so far:
[…]
> * I've tried (multiple times) to make Ctrl-Esc open KSysGuard, by
> assigning it as a Custom Shortcut for KMenuEdit. But when I press the
> shortcut, all I get is "No service configured".

Works here. Out of the box. I just miss the icon in Alt-F2 to start it.

martin@merkaba:~> apt-show-versions | grep ksysguard | grep -v 386
ksysguard:amd64/sid 4:5.3.2-2 uptodate
ksysguard-data:all/sid 4:5.3.2-2 uptodate
ksysguardd:amd64/sid 4:5.3.2-2 uptodate

> * Plasma Search, the successor to KRunner, doesn't remember the history.
> (Really? :-O)

I have seen this as well. I consider doing an upstream bug report if not
already done.

> * The Veromix plasmoid doesn't work anymore and there doesn't seem to be
> a suitable replacement to control PulseAudio from a panel.

I still prefer a system without PulseAudio cause with PulseAudio I have
issues that just go away when I do not use it. Last issue is stuttering
sound in PlaneShift. Bug reported and basically ignored.

> The Debian/KDE packagers are doing a time-consuming and largely
> unappreciated job, I know that. And I don't think the packaging is at
> fault for any of my more or less little complaints. Rather, it looks to
> me like the upstream KDE developers are giving their user base a second
> helping of the KDE 4 transition of a few years back. I'm not entirely
> happy about that.

I do think the transition has been a lot smoother than the KDE 3 => 4 one. A
lot.

And I still think the desktop is snappier now. I also think its more
polished. Several long standing bugs are gone that annoyed me for quite some
time. I found some new ones, but in general I think it works pretty well.

--
Martin