Systemback and Snapper+Btrfs (was: Re: So I have a Plasma 5 desktop!)

Am Montag, 13. Juli 2015, 19:48:19 schrieb Michael Schuerig:
> On Monday 13 July 2015 15:09:35 Volker Wysk wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Am Samstag, 11. Juli 2015, 15:32:18 schrieb Michael Schuerig:
> > > Oh dear. Installing/upgrading plasma-workspace and plasma-desktop
> > > did
> > > something. I wish I hadn't done it  Now I have a barely functional
> > > desktop in kindergarten coloring. Somehow I didn't plan to spend the
> > > weekend on configuring this into something I can use again.
> >
> > "Systemback" is a program wich saves the state of the system, und
> > makes it possible to revert to a previous state. You could have saved
> > the state previous to upgrading plasma-workspace. Then you would be
> > able to go back now.
> >
> > Of course, it's too late now, but you (and others) could use
> > Systemback in future.
> >
> > It is in the Debian repositories.
>
> I don't think there's a package in the official repo.

Opps, I've been mistaken. You can get it here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/systemback/

In order to install it, you need to have installed these packages: live-boot
syslinux isolinux

There's an article about Systemback in the LinuxUser magazine, issue 2/2015.

> Do you happen to
> know how systemback works?

Yes, I've tried it, and have been using it for a few months now.

> Anyway, for cases like this, I'm considering to switch to btrfs and use
> snapper pre/post snapshots.

I've heard of it, but haven't tried it yet. There was an article about
Snapper/Btrfs, as well, in issue 5/2015.

Bye,
Volker