Re: So I have a Plasma 5 desktop!

Am Samstag, 11. Juli 2015, 15:32:18 schrieb Michael Schuerig:
> On Saturday 11 July 2015 14:19:13 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > >
> > > When I launch systemsettings5, I just get this message
> > >
> > > "System Settings was unable to find any views, and hence has nothing
> > > to display."
> > >
> > > After clicking "OK", it just quits. Do I have to install new
> > > packages
> > > manually to make it work?

> > Hmmm, do you have plasma-workspace, plasma-desktop and kio installed?
> > Aside from that I installed from kde-config-* packages, but I think
> > these are optional modules for systemsettings.

> Oh dear. Installing/upgrading plasma-workspace and plasma-desktop did
> something. I wish I hadn't done it :-( Now I have a barely functional
> desktop in kindergarten coloring. Somehow I didn't plan to spend the
> weekend on configuring this into something I can use again.

> I assume it is correct that none of my previous desktop settings have
> been migrated?

No. It migrated the activities and some other stuff. But the whole plasma
containment and widget configuration is lost. Also the window manager
settings seem to got lost.

I didn´t look yet, but it may use a different configuration directory. Oh, I
bet it does, jupp, it appears it uses ~/.config now. Directly, not even a
sub directory. Hmmm, I don´t like this. I´d rather have it all in
~/.config/kde.org or something like that. Now I have Plasma config mixed
with other configs in there.

It didn´t take me long to restore it to a state I am happy with.

And on my main machine the Plasma 5 desktop is fully functional meanwhile.

On i386 there still is no plasma-workspace package.

--
Martin