Digikam and phonon-backend-vlc (was: Re: Digikam 4:2.9.0-2 rebuild for Wheezy/Sid)

To readers on debian-kde: please drop CC to bug report if your answer does
not add new test results or information.

Am Montag, 17. September 2012 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> Am Mittwoch, 12. September 2012 schrieb Detlev Brodowski:
> > Am Montag, 10. September 2012, 11:46:39 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> > > Hi Mark, hi Debian Qt/KDE developers,
> > >
> > > any chance to upload Digikam 4:2.9.0-2 against libmarblewidet13?
>
> […]
>
> > Hi Mark, hi Debian Qt/KDE developers, hi Martin,
> >
> > I'm using a pur sid installation as rolling release on my notebook.
> > So I have rebuilded the packages against an up to date sid repository
> > for my own. Furthermore I have removed, in my own build, the new
> > added conflict to the package phonon-backend-vlc because I could not
> > reproduce the bug #684130 neither with the 2.7.0 nor 2.9.0 debian
> > package from the experimental repository rebuilded for sid.
> > Tested with the vlc packages from main and from
> > debian-multimedia.org.
>
> Mark, thanks for uploading a new package which works with
> libmarblewidet13.
>
> I tried installing it but as Detlev points out it conflicts with
> phonon- backend-vlc due to bug 684130.
>
> Thus I will test the package the conflict removed here as well and
> report back. I hope that the conflict can be removed again.

I did so.

Digikam works nicely:

I can start digikam, browse pictures and view movie files. No crash.

I am using the following packages:

martin@merkaba:~> apt-show-versions | egrep "(phonon|digikam|alsa-|vlc)" |
grep -v dbg
alsa-base/sid uptodate 1.0.25+2+nmu2
alsa-utils/sid uptodate 1.0.25-3
digikam/experimental upgradeable from 4:2.9.0-3~test to 4:2.9.0-3
digikam-data/experimental upgradeable from 4:2.9.0-3~test to 4:2.9.0-3
digikam-doc/experimental upgradeable from 4:2.9.0-3~test to 4:2.9.0-3
libphonon-dev/sid uptodate 4:4.6.0.0-2
libphonon4/sid uptodate 4:4.6.0.0-2
libvlc5/sid uptodate 2.0.3-2
libvlccore5/sid uptodate 2.0.3-2
phonon/sid uptodate 4:4.6.0.0-2
phonon-backend-gstreamer/sid uptodate 4:4.6.0.0-2
phonon-backend-vlc/sid uptodate 0.6.0-1
vlc/sid uptodate 2.0.3-2
vlc-data/sid uptodate 2.0.3-2
vlc-nox/sid uptodate 2.0.3-2
vlc-plugin-notify/sid uptodate 2.0.3-2
vlc-plugin-pulse/sid uptodate 2.0.3-2

together with a self-compiled 3.6-rc6 kernel on Debian Sid as of today.

I am uploading my (non chroot) 64 bit Digikam builds to for others to
test:

http://martin-steigerwald.de/tmp/debian/

Please consider removing the conflict to phonon-backend-vlc now that
neither Detlev nor Daniel nor me can reproduce the crash on start.

Dear Grey, please double check whether you have any deb-multimedia VLC
packages installed and check your VLC installation.

As to the references Andreas Tille posted:

- With the Amarok won´t start issue there were indeed deb-multimedia.org
packages involved:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2012/03/msg00038.html

- The second reference according to the reporter was with the original
packages.

Still given the mixed picture and three reports of no issues whatsoever I
kindly ask to remove the conflict so that the underlying bug can be fixed if
any still exists.

If need be I will ask around at debian-kde for others to test the Digikam
packages I uploaded with phonon-backend-vlc. Readers from debian-kde feel
free to test my package builds and report your results. (No warranties
whatsoever, these are just unclean non chroot builds which may carry more
dependencies than necessary.)

Thanks,