Re: How can I find the path to various icons

Mirosław Zalewski <miniopl@poczta.onet.pl> writes:

> On 23/10/2011 at 01:49, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>> PS - what does %F  mean at the end of a command path, such as the one
>> for emacs23: /usr/bin/emacs23 %F.
>
> It is described in .desktop file specification. Take a look:
> <http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/ar01s06.html>
> You can read all about .desktop files there. Just click "Home" link at the
> bottom of the page to get a table of contents.

from your cited URL.

  A list of files. Use for apps that can open several local files at
  once. Each file is passed as a separate argument to the executable
  program.

I figured it was something like that.  Something akin to the shells
$@.

But that doesn't make much sense in the properties of an ICON.  How
does one pass a list of files when clicking on a menu of icons?  So I
didn't think it would be just inserted gratuitously but it seems to
be so.  eh?

For example, I see the %F in the properties of the emacs icon..

Or is it expected that user would drag a file to the icon and drop it?