Re: How can I find the path to various icons

On 23/10/2011 at 13:08, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

> But that doesn't make much sense in the properties of an ICON.  How
> does one pass a list of files when clicking on a menu of icons?  So I
> didn't think it would be just inserted gratuitously but it seems to
> be so.  eh?
>
> For example, I see the %F in the properties of the emacs icon..

I am afraid you are missing a point. .desktop file is more generic than just
icon. It is INI file with key for Icon, Name, supported Mime Types, executable
path (or just name, in which case system should check $PATH for that
executable) and some other things. Dolphin (KDE file manager) is using .desktop
files as well. So when you select some text files, under "Open with" you will
find emacs (beside Kate, Kwrite and perhaps some other apps).

When you edit icon properties, you are editing .desktop file; not only Icon
key, but whole content of it.

I have downloaded sources for emacs (I do not use it at all, so I don't have
it installed) and in emacs.desktop file I see:
#v+
Exec=emacs %F
Icon=emacs
#v-

So %F is not in icon (which indeed would not make much sense), but in Exec
value. That way opening few text files in emacs (from Dolphin) will not spawn
multiple emacs instances. For Kickoff it makes no difference, since you can't
select any files from it.

Hope I have cleared some things up and I apologize in advance if my message is
a bit harsh.
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski