Re: Where does Kontact save contacts?

On Monday, 2010-06-21, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> On Monday 21 June 2010, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Monday, 2010-06-21, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> > > I'm flabbergasted. I thought I understood where and how
> > > Kontact/KAddressbook saves contact data, i.e. in
> > > ~/.local/share/contacts. So it says in the properties for my
> > > "Personal Contacts" address book. Well, if I change any contact
> > > information, Kontact does save it somewhere, as the change is
> > > still there are a restart. But the change does *not* show up in
> > > that directory.
> > >
> > > The address book is not marked as "read only" and the directory is
> > > writable. KDE is from current unstable.
> >
> > That sounds like a bug, the resource should have written the file
> > moments after the contact got added to Akonadi.
> >
> > Can you run "akonadiconsole" and check what the status of the
> > resource is? When you click on it, the bottom section should show
> > something like "Status: Online, Idle"
>
> The resource is online, idle an has been every time I looked. In the
> meantime, I've restarted Kontact multiple times, but as far as I can
> tell from the modification times and file contents in that directory,
> changes are not written. Neither are they picked up, when I change one
> of the .vcf files there manually.

Can you check on the second tab, when you click on the folder of the personal
contacts resource, if all entries listed on the right hand side have a "remote
id"?

> So, the interesting question remains: where are my contacts?

It seems they are currently only in the cache.
You can try this:
create a vcard resource, chose any filename.

Copy the contacts to that resource.

Obviously this still doesn't explain why the main resource didn't write them,
but at least you can get them some place safe before investigating deeper.

Cheers,
Kevin