Re: replacement for kpdf for kde 4.X?

El Domingo, 8 de Febrero de 2009, Arthur Marsh escribió:
> Anyway, I was lead to believe that kde 4.X would not be slower than kde
> 3.5.X.

You are comparing Okular with KDPF, aren't you? This doesn't have to do with
comparing KDE 3.5 with KDE 4.x. Okular started with the KPDF codebase, but
it's really different in many ways. For example, Okular uses libpoppler to
render PDFs, but KPDF uses xpdf.

> What is the best way to achieve a fast, fully-documented pdf reader for
> kde 3.5.X under Debian?

That depends on what you mean with "for KDE 3.5.x". If you mean a PDF reader
done with KDE 3 libraries, then it's KPDF. However, I strongly recommend
Okular, as it's a better application in general. Even if it uses KDE 4
libraries, it's perfectly usable on a KDE 3 desktop. I've been using it since
a _lot_ time ago, and to me it's perfectly stable. Although I understand that
if you found one important PDF for you that makes Okular choke, then you will
have a bad impression.

I suggest that you use Okular, and report bugs that you find. Also note that
the PDF you linked to is badly served (blame Microsoft's IIS), since it
says "Content-Type: .PDF", instead of application/pdf.

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) | GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2