Re: Problems with hal, devices and udev

Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
[...]

When I plug in a USB device, I immediately see some harddisk access
(syslog etc.) and then, after 1-2 seconds, there is a short spike in CPU
activity and the icon appears on my desktop. Do you observe something
similar on your system?

yes but not the icon. It's strange to me, because in my box at home, appears a nice windows asking about what to do with the device...

This has reminded me of something else: Check if the option "Enable HAL
Backend" is activated in the "KDE Control Center > Peripherals > Storage
Media > Advanced" menu. I do not remember anymore if this was activated
automatically or if I had to do it manually. The "Notifications" menu
might also be relevant.

[...]

Ok, it's active. It's ok, very ok to comment it because I have the suspicious
that it's a stupid thing. I have realized that in konqueror I have not any
devices i the toolbar of the left, and I don't know why. Maybe it's something
about the problem ....

I think this is an unrelated bug. I also "lost" my devices in konqueror
when I went from hotplug to udev. Now I get a "Protocol not supported"
error whenever I click on the devices icon, but my pluggable device
icons on the desktop still work. Therefore I think you don't have to
worry about this right now.

Regards,
          Florian