Re: Problems with hal, devices and udev

A Dimarts 24 Gener 2006 14:03, Florian Kulzer va escriure:
[.......]
> Well, that looks like everything is OK with pmount. So I would assume
> that the problem is that udev does not use dbus properly to notify KDE
> about the fact that a new device was plugged in. Unfortunately I have no
> knowledge about how exactly this works, so I have no idea about the best
> way to approach this issue. You might find useful info in the links
> given in the following mail:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2005/09/msg00410.html

Ok, there are a lot of mails, but I will see if I find something.

> >>If pmount works on its own then the problem is with KDE. I think you
> >>mentioned in your first mail that you run a "mixed testing/unstable"
> >>system. Maybe it is worthwhile to check that you do not have any old KDE
> >>3.4 libraries left installed anywhere, e.g. with
> >>dpkg -l "*" | grep -i kde | grep 3.4
> >
> > I have purged all the old packages and the problem continues ...
>
> When I plug in a USB device, I immediately see some harddisk access
> (syslog etc.) and then, after 1-2 seconds, there is a short spike in CPU
> activity and the icon appears on my desktop. Do you observe something
> similar on your system?

yes but not the icon. It's strange to me, because in my box at home, appears a
nice windows asking about what to do with the device...

> If so, are there any related error messages in
> ~/.xsession-errors?

well, the last messages aren't about any of udev, etc.

> Note that you also need to have the option for the
> "unmounted removable device" checked in the KDE Control Center, since
> the device is only mounted after you click on the icon. (I assume you
> have figured this out yourself already, but I want to make sure that
> your problem is not due to a simple misunderstanding...)
Ok, it's active. It's ok, very ok to comment it because I have the suspicious
that it's a stupid thing. I have realized that in konqueror I have not any
devices i the toolbar of the left, and I don't know why. Maybe it's something
about the problem ....

> > proc /proc proc rw 0 0
> > sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
> > devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
> > tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
> > usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
> > binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0
> >
> > this is normal?
>
> Yes, it is the same on my computers. These are "pseudo-filesystems"
> which allow you to read and set certain properties of your system. For
> example, if you do "cat /proc/cpuinfo" you will get information about
> your CPU, but this info is not stored anywhere on a harddisk, but rather
> provided on the fly by the kernel whenever that particular "file" is
> accessed.

thank's Florian, really thank's,

regards,

Leo