Re: Problems with hal, devices and udev

Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
[...]
Well, it works and no message is prompted. Running it with debug options show this:

palomo@lira:~$ pmount -d /dev/sda1 usb
resolved /dev/sda1 to device /dev/sda1
mount point to be used: /media/usb
no iocharset given, current locale encoding is ANSI_X3.4-1968
Cleaning lock directory /var/lock/pmount/_dev_sda1
device_whitelist: checking /etc/pmount.allow...
device_whitlisted(): nothing matched, returning 0
find_sysfs_device: looking for sysfs directory for device 8:1
find_sysfs_device: checking whether /dev/sda1 is on /sys/block/sda (8:0)
find_sysfs_device: major device numbers match
find_sysfs_device: minor device numbers do not match, checking partitions...
find_sysfs_device: checking whether device /dev/sda1 matches partition 8:0
find_sysfs_device: checking whether device /dev/sda1 matches partition 8:1
find_sysfs_device: -> partition matches, belongs to block device /sys/block/sda
device_removable: corresponding block device for /dev/sda1 is /sys/block/sda
get_blockdev_attr: value of /sys/block/sda/removable == 1
policy check passed
spawnv(): executing /sbin/cryptsetup '/sbin/cryptsetup' 'isLuks' '/dev/sda1'
spawn(): /sbin/cryptsetup terminated with status 255
device is not LUKS encrypted, or cryptsetup with LUKS support is not installed
locking mount point directory
mount point directory locked
spawnv(): executing /bin/mount '/bin/mount' '-t' 'udf' '-o' 'nosuid,nodev,user,async,atime,noexec,uid=1003,gid=1003,umask=007' '/dev/sda1' '/media/usb'
spawn(): /bin/mount terminated with status 32
spawnv(): executing /bin/mount '/bin/mount' '-t' 'iso9660' '-o' 'nosuid,nodev,user,async,atime,noexec,uid=1003,gid=1003' '/dev/sda1' '/media/usb'
spawn(): /bin/mount terminated with status 32
spawnv(): executing /bin/mount '/bin/mount' '-t' 'vfat' '-o' 'nosuid,nodev,user,quiet,shortname=mixed,async,atime,noexec,uid=1003,gid=1003,umask=077' '/dev/sda1' '/media/usb'
spawn(): /bin/mount terminated with status 0
unlocking mount point directory
mount point directory unlocked

Well, that looks like everything is OK with pmount. So I would assume
that the problem is that udev does not use dbus properly to notify KDE
about the fact that a new device was plugged in. Unfortunately I have no
knowledge about how exactly this works, so I have no idea about the best
way to approach this issue. You might find useful info in the links
given in the following mail:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2005/09/msg00410.html

If pmount works on its own then the problem is with KDE. I think you
mentioned in your first mail that you run a "mixed testing/unstable"
system. Maybe it is worthwhile to check that you do not have any old KDE
3.4 libraries left installed anywhere, e.g. with
dpkg -l "*" | grep -i kde | grep 3.4

I have purged all the old packages and the problem continues ...

When I plug in a USB device, I immediately see some harddisk access
(syslog etc.) and then, after 1-2 seconds, there is a short spike in CPU
activity and the icon appears on my desktop. Do you observe something
similar on your system? If so, are there any related error messages in
~/.xsession-errors? Note that you also need to have the option for the
"unmounted removable device" checked in the KDE Control Center, since
the device is only mounted after you click on the icon. (I assume you
have figured this out yourself already, but I want to make sure that
your problem is not due to a simple misunderstanding...)

There are some questions also, I have found that you cannot have any device
that mount in /sys. I have had some devices and I have comment it in the
fstab (and also the /dev/sda that pmount said that there was a problem) and
reboot, etc.... but if I do a cat /etc/mtab I found this:

proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0

this is normal?

Yes, it is the same on my computers. These are "pseudo-filesystems"
which allow you to read and set certain properties of your system. For
example, if you do "cat /proc/cpuinfo" you will get information about
your CPU, but this info is not stored anywhere on a harddisk, but rather
provided on the fly by the kernel whenever that particular "file" is
accessed.

Regards,
            Florian