Re: Problems with hal, devices and udev

A Dilluns 23 Gener 2006 20:21, Florian Kulzer va escriure:
> Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> [...]
> >>
> >>You need to install the package "pmount" and add your user to the group
> >>"plugdev". Then you should be able to activate "automatic" desktop icons
> >>for your pluggable devices in the "KDE Control Center > Desktop >
> >>Behavior > Device Icons" dialog.
> >
> > also, it doesn't work  ..... really I begin to be a bit desesperately. It
> > really bothers me that a boy near me with redhat can mount pen drive with
> > a nice window without any problem and I with debian can't !!
>
> I would have expected that KDE will manage to put an icon on the desktop
> if the device shows up in the syslog. Did you try to use pmount from the
> konsole to see if it works, e.g. "pmount /dev/sda1 usb"? Then the device
> should be mounted under /media/usb. Maybe you will get an error message
> that helps to identify the cause of the problem.

Well, it works and no message is prompted. Running it with debug options show
this:

palomo@lira:~$ pmount -d /dev/sda1 usb
resolved /dev/sda1 to device /dev/sda1
mount point to be used: /media/usb
no iocharset given, current locale encoding is ANSI_X3.4-1968
Cleaning lock directory /var/lock/pmount/_dev_sda1
device_whitelist: checking /etc/pmount.allow...
device_whitlisted(): nothing matched, returning 0
find_sysfs_device: looking for sysfs directory for device 8:1
find_sysfs_device: checking whether /dev/sda1 is on /sys/block/sda (8:0)
find_sysfs_device: major device numbers match
find_sysfs_device: minor device numbers do not match, checking partitions...
find_sysfs_device: checking whether device /dev/sda1 matches partition 8:0
find_sysfs_device: checking whether device /dev/sda1 matches partition 8:1
find_sysfs_device: -> partition matches, belongs to block
device /sys/block/sda
device_removable: corresponding block device for /dev/sda1 is /sys/block/sda
get_blockdev_attr: value of /sys/block/sda/removable == 1
policy check passed
spawnv(): executing /sbin/cryptsetup '/sbin/cryptsetup' 'isLuks' '/dev/sda1'
spawn(): /sbin/cryptsetup terminated with status 255
device is not LUKS encrypted, or cryptsetup with LUKS support is not installed
locking mount point directory
mount point directory locked
spawnv(): executing /bin/mount '/bin/mount' '-t' 'udf' '-o'
'nosuid,nodev,user,async,atime,noexec,uid=1003,gid=1003,umask=007'
'/dev/sda1' '/media/usb'
spawn(): /bin/mount terminated with status 32
spawnv(): executing /bin/mount '/bin/mount' '-t' 'iso9660' '-o'
'nosuid,nodev,user,async,atime,noexec,uid=1003,gid=1003' '/dev/sda1'
'/media/usb'
spawn(): /bin/mount terminated with status 32
spawnv(): executing /bin/mount '/bin/mount' '-t' 'vfat' '-o'
'nosuid,nodev,user,quiet,shortname=mixed,async,atime,noexec,uid=1003,gid=1003,umask=077'
'/dev/sda1' '/media/usb'
spawn(): /bin/mount terminated with status 0
unlocking mount point directory
mount point directory unlocked

> If pmount works on its own then the problem is with KDE. I think you
> mentioned in your first mail that you run a "mixed testing/unstable"
> system. Maybe it is worthwhile to check that you do not have any old KDE
> 3.4 libraries left installed anywhere, e.g. with
> dpkg -l "*" | grep -i kde | grep 3.4

I have purged all the old packages and the problem continues ...

> You could also consider using the package "usbmount". I have no
> experience with it myself, but I remember some people on debian-user
> recommending it.

I have installed it but I would prefer to have a window asking what to do.

There are some questions also, I have found that you cannot have any device
that mount in /sys. I have had some devices and I have comment it in the
fstab (and also the /dev/sda that pmount said that there was a problem) and
reboot, etc.... but if I do a cat /etc/mtab I found this:

proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0

this is normal?

Regards,

and thank's for your patience.

Leo