Re: In search of the 'Perfect' URI for usb printers

Ryan Schultz wrote:

On Tuesday 12 July 2005 01:21 pm, Gayle Lee Fairless wrote:
	I am trying to install an USB HP psc1210 printer on my Gateway 500
that was running woody but now running sarge.  I have a 2.6.12 kernel
available.

The KDE Control Center has

URI:ipp://gcomm:631/printers/psc1210

Device:ptal:/mlc:usb:psc_1200_series

but the device driver(?) picked a HP 697C driver from the foomatic
database.

Now I've gotten a test page from the HP 697C parallel printer on lp0.  But
the psc 1210 does not respond.

I'm typing this from work and can supply more info tonight if needed.

I also have the package that mentions gimp.

How do I get the usb printer online.  I also want to get the scanner
interfaced, too.

Thanks!

(Mr.) Gayle Lee Fairless

I've got exactly the same printer/scanner (PSC1210) here working flawlessly, so hopefully I can help you. First, make sure you've done 'apt-get install hplip foomatic-db-hpijs'. Once those are installed, go into the KDE Print control section, remove the PSC1210 that may be there (so we can go from scratch). Add a Printer, choose Local Printer, and at the bottom pick the hp:/usb/psc_1200_series.. printer. Click next, and go to HP for your manufacturer, and then choose 'PSC 1210 hpijs' as the Model. 'Next' through until its done, and that should be it; you'll now have a printer at something similar to:
ipp://telemachus:631/printers/PSC1210
hp:/usb/psc_1200_series?serial=12345678

And that should be it. XSane (or your scanning program of choice) will automatically detect the hplip controller as well; scanning shouldn't require any configuration whatsoever.

Hope that helps!

I have good news and bad news and worse news.

I did get a test page out of the psc12100. Too bad the color ink cartridge needs replacing. I think I drove my parallel printer insane. It keeps blinking its little amber light at me. Apparently there are 2 entries for Hewlett-Packard printers: one is labeled Hewlett-Packard and contains the parallel printer stuff; and the other
is hp for usb, etc.

I mistakenly thought that I didn't have the foomatic-db-hpijs package and let aptitude alias apt-get remove the hpoj package. I guess I'll have to find a way to force it back into the configuration or set up the 697C as a raw printer.

The serial number didn't show up in the printer section on the KDE Control Center, but the other stuff looks
about identical to what you have.

BTW, do you also have a parallel printer?

--
(Mr.) Gayle Lee Fairless, http://counter.li.org/, No. 365760.
Linux Gcomm 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 Son Apr 14 09:53:28 CEST 2002 i686 GNU/Linux