In search of the 'Perfect' URI for usb printers

	I am trying to install an USB HP psc1210 printer on my Gateway 500
that was running woody but now running sarge.  I have a 2.6.12 kernel
available.

The KDE Control Center has

URI:ipp://gcomm:631/printers/psc1210

Device:ptal:/mlc:usb:psc_1200_series

but the device driver(?) picked a HP 697C driver from the foomatic
database.

Now I've gotten a test page from the HP 697C parallel printer on lp0.  But
the psc 1210 does not respond.

I'm typing this from work and can supply more info tonight if needed.

I also have the package that mentions gimp.

How do I get the usb printer online.  I also want to get the scanner
interfaced, too.

Thanks!

(Mr.) Gayle Lee Fairless