Re: In search of the 'Perfect' URI for usb printers

On Tuesday 12 July 2005 01:21 pm, Gayle Lee Fairless wrote:
> 	I am trying to install an USB HP psc1210 printer on my Gateway 500
> that was running woody but now running sarge.  I have a 2.6.12 kernel
> available.
>
> The KDE Control Center has
>
> URI:ipp://gcomm:631/printers/psc1210
>
> Device:ptal:/mlc:usb:psc_1200_series
>
> but the device driver(?) picked a HP 697C driver from the foomatic
> database.
>
> Now I've gotten a test page from the HP 697C parallel printer on lp0.  But
> the psc 1210 does not respond.
>
> I'm typing this from work and can supply more info tonight if needed.
>
> I also have the package that mentions gimp.
>
> How do I get the usb printer online.  I also want to get the scanner
> interfaced, too.
>
> Thanks!
>
> (Mr.) Gayle Lee Fairless

I've got exactly the same printer/scanner (PSC1210) here working flawlessly,
so hopefully I can help you. First, make sure you've done 'apt-get install
hplip foomatic-db-hpijs'. Once those are installed, go into the KDE Print
control section, remove the PSC1210 that may be there (so we can go from
scratch). Add a Printer, choose Local Printer, and at the bottom pick the
hp:/usb/psc_1200_series.. printer. Click next, and go to HP for your
manufacturer, and then choose 'PSC 1210 hpijs' as the Model. 'Next' through
until its done, and that should be it; you'll now have a printer at something
similar to:
ipp://telemachus:631/printers/PSC1210
hp:/usb/psc_1200_series?serial=12345678

And that should be it. XSane (or your scanning program of choice) will
automatically detect the hplip controller as well; scanning shouldn't require
any configuration whatsoever.

Hope that helps!

--
Ryan Schultz
-> floating point exception: divide by cucumber