Re: usb storage problems

Theo Schmidt wrote:

> > Maybe give us the actual output from apt?
>
> Here it is. Note --simulate
>
> root@tbox:/home/theo# apt-get --simulate install udev
> Die folgenden Pakete werden aktualisiert:
>   e2fslibs e2fsprogs libc6 libc6-dev locales
> WARNUNG: Die folgenden essentiellen Pakete werden entfernt.
> Die sollte NICHT geschehen, wenn Sie nicht genau wissen, was Sie tun!
>   sysvinit
> 5 aktualisiert, 3 neu installiert, 9 zu entfernen und 650 nicht
> aktualisiert.

> Sorry, it's in (misspellt!) German, but there are two severe warnings, one
> error (although I expect that comes from the --simulate option), and a
> cryptic instruction: heavy stuff!

My German is rusty enough to be completely forgiving of spelling (ie, I
couldn't spell it right myself...), but that's clear enough.

It's the 650 "not installed" programs that are killing you.  I believe
you're getting caught in a libc6 upgrade.  If you've got the nerve for it,
"aptitude upgrade" might install most of those 650 (without removing
anything), then try again.

> > So, you have a device on the desktop that is unmounted?  Click on the
> > device, it mounts, right-click and select "unmount" to unmount it.  If
> > that's not working, what _is_ happening?
>
> The icon appears on the desktop already mounted after executing pmount.

The icon _should_ appear on the desktop unmounted - if you have the KDE
device settings configured (Desktop configuration / behaviour/ device
icons) to show unmounted removable devices.  So then you click on it and it
mounts (using pmount).

> It would of course be slick if KDE could be taught to use pumount instead
> of umount.

It will if _KDE_ pmounted it in the first place.
> > I think that's a hotplug or udev issue.  I think we really need to get
> > udev fixed.  Have you done an "apt-get update" recently?
>
> Yes, for "testing". But I do have 650 packages a couple of months old. I
> update some of them from time to time, steering clear of anything with "k"
> in it, as I do not want the very severe problems I had twice already or
> which appear often on this list. Also the above installation for udev
> sounds seems terribly risky to me. I don't mind adding or updating things,
> but removing them is usually bad news. There should be an "undo" button in
> synaptic! But I'm happy with the situation now, will enjoy hal and udev in
> a year or so, I expect, and thank you very much indeed for your help and
> patience!

So try the "upgrade".  "upgrade" is generally safe, where "dist-upgrade" may
not be.  Not being an "etch" user, I couldn't bet on whether it's currently
safe to dist-upgrade to it.
--
derek