Re: usb storage problems

Am Sonntag, 18. September 2005 16.56 schrieb Derek Broughton:
> Sorry, but 2.4 is pretty primitive these days.  As long as it only has the
> "same" problems, upgrade.  I wouldn't want to bet we can fix _this_ problem
> on 2.4.

OK, convinced and done (see previous mail).

> > Looking through the internet I see a great many questions of this nature,
> > but no simple answers.
>
> Sure there are, but you're refusing to use them.  For most people, hal,
> dbus & pmount solve the problem - without any need to configure anything.

dbus is installed, including the documentation. I don't have a clue what to do
with this. In order to install hal or udev I would need to uninstall
baseconfig and about ten other important-sounding packages. The last time I
did something like this, my system became unusable.

But pmount now works. And KDE shows the devices :-) All I'm missing is a way
of umounting them easily.

> However, in your case - and possibly even on 2.4 kernels - udev could
> easily be made to provide a symlink to /dev/usbstick every time you mount
> the device.  Then you just need one entry in fstab.

can't use udev, same dependency nightmare as hal :-(

> > ...it is impossible to mount because the system claims that it
> > has the wrong file type or a damaged superblock even when this is
> > definately not the case.
>
> I'd be prepared to bet it definitely _is_ the case.  What those messages
> usually mean are that you specified a file type in fstab, and that isn't
> what's on the device; or you mounted (e.g.) /dev/sdb when you should have
> mounted /dev/sdb1

You are correct. My problem seems to be wierd partitions and/or unknown file
types. Just while writing this I managed to mount one of my SD cards, but
only after using QTparted in order to identify the partition to use (sdc1),
but shows "unknown file system type". Pmount then works. fstab entries don't,
because of the unknown file system. Pmount rocks, halfway there! Thanks,
Derek.

Incidently, cat /proc/partitions won't show the SD card *until it has already
been pmounted*. It is thus not useful to determine unknown partitions.

Theo Schmidt