Re: usb storage problems

Theo Schmidt wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 18. September 2005 16.56 schrieb Derek Broughton:
>> Sorry, but 2.4 is pretty primitive these days.  As long as it only has
>> the
>> "same" problems, upgrade.  I wouldn't want to bet we can fix _this_
>> problem on 2.4.
>
> OK, convinced and done (see previous mail).

Excellent.

>> For most people, hal,
>> dbus & pmount solve the problem - without any need to configure anything.
>
> dbus is installed, including the documentation. I don't have a clue what
> to do with this.

Me neither :-)  It's just a dependency for hal and pmount.

> In order to install hal or udev I would need to uninstall
> baseconfig

base-config??

> and about ten other important-sounding packages. The last time
> I did something like this, my system became unusable.

Maybe give us the actual output from apt?

> But pmount now works. And KDE shows the devices :-) All I'm missing is a
> way of umounting them easily.

So, you have a device on the desktop that is unmounted?  Click on the
device, it mounts, right-click and select "unmount" to unmount it.  If
that's not working, what _is_ happening?

> You are correct. My problem seems to be wierd partitions and/or unknown
> file types. Just while writing this I managed to mount one of my SD cards,
> but only after using QTparted in order to identify the partition to use
> (sdc1), but shows "unknown file system type". Pmount then works. fstab
> entries don't, because of the unknown file system. Pmount rocks, halfway
> there! Thanks, Derek.
>
> Incidently, cat /proc/partitions won't show the SD card *until it has
> already been pmounted*. It is thus not useful to determine unknown
> partitions.

I think that's a hotplug or udev issue.  I think we really need to get udev
fixed.  Have you done an "apt-get update" recently?
--
derek