Re: kdm can't start X

Am Dienstag, 11. Januar 2005 19.37 schrieb cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis):
> On Monday 10 January 2005 19:11, Theo Schmidt wrote:
> > After having mistakingly installed gdm with Debian and not wanting this,
> > I removed it and installed kdm instead. kdm appears and is configurable,
> > but is not able to start anything: it just disappears for a few seconds
> > and appears again. I *can* start kde manually with startx
> > /usr/bin/startkde (thanks Hendrik).
>
> sounds like x-session-manager is messed up on your system.
>  update-alternatives --config x-session-manager
> allows you to set this (should point to /usr/bin/startkde)

Thank you for this valuable tip. I've done this and can now start KDE manually
with the command startx (no arguments).

BUT: kdm still doesn't work! I've tried removing it and reinstalling it, but
the behaviour is exactly the same as before: after loging in with the kdm
window, the signal to the monitor disappears (black screen) for a few seconds
and then the kdm window appears again.

I'm at my wits end with this problem. The PC is for somebody who cannot be
expected to login manually and I've already configured too many things to
want to do a complete new Sarge reinstall. Please somebody tell me how to
find the magic configuration file which tells kdm how to start kde (or
anything else)!

Theo Schmidt