Re: how to save settings of konqueror

On Wednesday 12 January 2005 12:14, Jianan wrote:
> Konqueror. This is not as simple as some had thought. Nick Pilon put most

It is simple. Whether it fulfills your needs is another question.

Go to the menu Settings and select Save View Profile "profilename".

This saves the current layout in the active profile. You are given the option
of saving the url and the window size as well.

"What is a profile?", you might ask. Let me try this explanation.

Konqueror has different view profiles, which are settings files, in which the
layout of konqueror is stored.  The advantage of this is that we can use the
same application for both web browsing and file management, and have a
completely different layout of the application depending on what we are
doing. Each profile may be selected from the command line with the --profile
option.

Example:

> konqueror --profile webbrowsing

This will open konqueror with the web browsing layout.

To see all current profiles use:

> konqueror --profiles

When you click on an icon that opens konqueror, like the home icon (the one
with the house), behind the scenes KDE looks up the icon properties which
contain the command line option that selects the appropriate view profile.
Icons actually use the kfmclient command instead of the konqueor command but
that makes no difference. You can see the properties of an icon by right
clicking on it and selecting the option that has the wrench icon next to it.

The home icon opens konqueror with the filemanagement profile. This means what
when you select Settings->Save View Profile, it will by default save the file
management profile. So if you want to change the way konqueror looks when you
open it as a file browser. Open it as a file browser, do some changes to the
layout, and save the profile with the Save View Profile menu option.

One consequence of all this, is that the layout of konqueror depends on what
profile you open with, and not what you are actually doing. In other words,
if you open konqueror in web browsing mode, you get the web browsing layout,
even though you can easily type in a local url in the Location field and see
you local files. There is no way to make konqueror switch profiles depending
on what you are browsing. (No easy way at least..) You can change profile
manually with the Settings->Load View Profile menu item if you want.

Now let me finish off by putting a disclaimer here. And somebody please
correct me if I am wrong on this. Profiles does not save each and every
possible option. It is possible that one particular option that you may want
to have stored in the profile, is not possible to store. In this case the
option comes up with the default choice or the choice dictated by konqueors
main settings. There is nothing you can do about this. If you want it
changed, file a wishlist bug report on it with KDEs bug tracking system.

Anders E. Andersen