gdm vs kdm and X-problem with Sarge installer

I've just installed a new Debian system for the first time using the new
installer (Sarge pre-release double-sided DVD on current Chip-Professional
magazine (German)). It worked *very well* except for the following:

- wasn't able to choose the new Kernel (not an issue here)
- sound seems unconfigured (ditto)
- Gnome was installed as default, in particular gdm instead of kdm (I havn't
figured out yet how to switch to kdm or get rid of the annoying thing in gdm
that only root can shutdown (can't find how to change that without
command-line magic))
- Although I was allowed to configure X, my choices were written
to /etc/X11/xf86config instead of /etc/X11/xf86config-4, which is the file
actually used. Changing anything involves running xf86config and then
renaming /etc/X11/xf86config to /etc/X11/xf86config-4. Additionally,
xf86config recommends entering "auto" for the choice of mouse, which didn't
work: my setup seems to require /dev/psaux and will not run with /dev/mouse.

Since I got it running, what am I asking here? The recent discussion on
whether ordinary users should contact Debian maintainers and file bugs or not
was inconclusive. Therefore re the above (last points): Are these bugs or not
and if so, should anybody hear about them (other than readers here)? My
interest is whether I can recommend Debian yet to beginners. This would be
the case if the installer had installed kdm and found the correct x-driver
and resolution by itself.

Theo Schmidt