Re: Again: Delays starting KDE apps after upgrade 3.1.3 => 3.1.4

On Friday 19 September 2003 09:23, Achim Bohnet wrote:
> > I have tried creating these files as root in an init script which get
> > executed on boot, and it doesn't make any difference in speed on my
> > system. Not any that I can notice anyway.
>
> You'll notice the effect when you logout/login. With .ICE-unix chown
> root:root it takes here ~ 1 sec until KDE session is up and 2-3 sec until
> all KDE apps are restored.  With .ICE-unix owned by a normal user the
> second login takes 3-4 times longer.

Wow -- thats really fast! I have an Thinkpad T20 with 750 MHz an a pretty
slow harddisk here and it takes about 15 seconds to start my KDE session
(with bad permissions for .ICE-unix even longer).

But I expect some improvement if I can someday move to Sarge (I'm waiting
for it claimed as stable) which uses a more recent gcc than gcc-2.95. Hmm ...

Frank
--
## Dept. of Computer Science, Dresden University of Technology, Germany ##
## http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/~fm3                                     ##