Re: Debian KDE 3 packages using a different kde_htmldir

Daniel Stone writes:

  Daniel> On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 07:39:02PM +0200, Dominique Devriese
  Daniel> wrote:
  >> The only Debian kdelibs patch,
  >> kdelibs/debian/patches/kdelibs.dirs.diff changes KGlobals to only
  >> look for html resources that are named
  >> "$prefix/share/doc/kde/HTML" ( and changes some cgi-bin search
  >> path too.. ).

  Daniel> And fair enough, too; looking in /usr/share/doc/HTML could
  Daniel> pick up any random documentation.

You misunderstood me, I meant that it looked in
$prefix/share/doc/kde/HTML/$thepackageathand/

  >> This patch breaks the documentation of all third party KDE
  >> applications, since these packages ( at least those that use the
  >> standard KDE build system to install docs ), install their
  >> documentation in "$prefix/share/doc/HTML", and this is never
  >> searched by kio_help, even when KDEDIRS is set properly.

  Daniel> You could say that installing to /usr breaks all third-party
  Daniel> KDE apps; it's just a matter of how you install it.

This is another problem, indeed.  Why don't the Debian KDE packages
set the prefixes to "/usr:/usr/local:/usr/local/kde", so that
installing third party source packages goes as easy as possible ?

  >> So my question is: Wtf is this patch intended to fix, and why
  >> does it not make sure that people installing third party kde apps
  >> from source can still read the documentation..

  Daniel> /usr/share/doc/HTML is documentation for the package called
  Daniel> 'HTML'. If everyone put their documentation in there, it
  Daniel> would be an utter mess.

I don't think that just putting kde stuff in a different place solves
anything, since in the HTML dir are only kde packages' documentation,
and such the mess remains, it's just split in half.

  Daniel> It's just another sad legacy of KDE assuming there will
  Daniel> never be anything else in its prefix. :\

Yeah, I heard how this was a problem for the Debian packages trying to
install things in the right places..

  >> Basically, I see three ways to fix this problem: 1 remove the
  >> patch. This would probably also mean some work to make the docs
  >> install in the proper place again..  2 fix the patch, to make
  >> sure it *also* searches in the old place 3 keep the patch, and
  >> fix the kde build system to make sure that a 3rd party source
  >> package properly detects where it should install its
  >> documentation.

  Daniel> I vote for 3 - just use the option to ./configure.

"tell your users to use the option to ./configure", you mean, I
guess, which is why I don't like this option too much..

Do you think there is any way to make ./configure auto-detect this ?
Could perhaps debianrules get another output target that would be
usable in a shell, and ./configure could source this if it detects
it's on a debian system ?
cheers
domi

--
You will be given a post of trust and responsibility.