Re: Debian KDE 3 packages using a different kde_htmldir

Ralf Nolden writes:

  Ralf> On Dienstag, 13. Mai 2003 19:39, Dominique Devriese wrote:
  >> Hi,
  >>
  >> ( i'm not sure if this is the debian kde development list, or if
  >> it's more of a user list, so please refer me to the right place
  >> if this isn't the place for this )
  >>
  >> The only Debian kdelibs patch,
  >> kdelibs/debian/patches/kdelibs.dirs.diff changes KGlobals to only
  >> look for html resources that are named
  >> "$prefix/share/doc/kde/HTML" ( and changes some cgi-bin search
  >> path too.. ).
  >>
  >> This patch breaks the documentation of all third party KDE
  >> applications, since these packages ( at least those that use the
  >> standard KDE build system to install docs ), install their
  >> documentation in "$prefix/share/doc/HTML", and this is never
  >> searched by kio_help, even when KDEDIRS is set properly.
  >>
  >> So my question is: Wtf is this patch intended to fix, and why
  >> does it not make sure that people installing third party kde apps
  >> from source can still read the documentation..

  Ralf> They can. They just have to source the file debianrules in the
  Ralf> admin directory of their sourcepackage they compile. You can
  Ralf> also just easily use dh-make to package the source directly so
  Ralf> you can uninstall it if you don't like it.

I'm talking about users trying to install source packages on their
own.  Users expect that they can just do "./configure; make; su -c
'make install'" and everything works.

Furthermore, I've tried in three different shells, and none of them
can handle the output of "debianrules echodirs".  It seems that this
was solely meant to be used by the rules Makefile.

  Ralf> apt-get install dh-make

  Ralf> dh_make -t /usr/share/doc/kdelibs4-dev/dh-make

  Ralf> That will add a debian dir to the sourcepackage that works
  Ralf> with the current kdelibs and exports all values needed:

I know, I've been playing around with creating a Debian package, but
this is not what I'm talking about..

  Ralf> export kde_htmldir=/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML

I suppose I have to tell all Debian users to export this before
configuring then ?

cheers
domi

--