Re: Debian KDE 3 packages using a different kde_htmldir

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 08:41:00AM +0200, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> Daniel Stone writes:
>   Daniel> On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 07:39:02PM +0200, Dominique Devriese
>   Daniel> wrote:
>   >> The only Debian kdelibs patch,
>   >> kdelibs/debian/patches/kdelibs.dirs.diff changes KGlobals to only
>   >> look for html resources that are named
>   >> "$prefix/share/doc/kde/HTML" ( and changes some cgi-bin search
>   >> path too.. ).
>
>   Daniel> And fair enough, too; looking in /usr/share/doc/HTML could
>   Daniel> pick up any random documentation.
>
> You misunderstood me, I meant that it looked in
> $prefix/share/doc/kde/HTML/$thepackageathand/

Yes. Which is what it should do.

>   >> This patch breaks the documentation of all third party KDE
>   >> applications, since these packages ( at least those that use the
>   >> standard KDE build system to install docs ), install their
>   >> documentation in "$prefix/share/doc/HTML", and this is never
>   >> searched by kio_help, even when KDEDIRS is set properly.
>
>   Daniel> You could say that installing to /usr breaks all third-party
>   Daniel> KDE apps; it's just a matter of how you install it.
>
> This is another problem, indeed.  Why don't the Debian KDE packages
> set the prefixes to "/usr:/usr/local:/usr/local/kde", so that
> installing third party source packages goes as easy as possible ?

Because you should be using packages where possible, anyway?

>   >> So my question is: Wtf is this patch intended to fix, and why
>   >> does it not make sure that people installing third party kde apps
>   >> from source can still read the documentation..
>
>   Daniel> /usr/share/doc/HTML is documentation for the package called
>   Daniel> 'HTML'. If everyone put their documentation in there, it
>   Daniel> would be an utter mess.
>
> I don't think that just putting kde stuff in a different place solves
> anything, since in the HTML dir are only kde packages' documentation,
> and such the mess remains, it's just split in half.

That's my point! KDE documentation should remain in
/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML, where it belongs.

>   Daniel> I vote for 3 - just use the option to ./configure.
>
> "tell your users to use the option to ./configure", you mean, I
> guess, which is why I don't like this option too much..

If you have that many Debian users, wouldn't it be easier to just make
packages?

> Do you think there is any way to make ./configure auto-detect this ?
> Could perhaps debianrules get another output target that would be
> usable in a shell, and ./configure could source this if it detects
> it's on a debian system ?

Well, you could source debianrules, and use $(kde_options) or whatever.
Detecting a Debian system is wrong and broken. I run a Debian system,
but run HEAD, and all my stuff is in /opt/qt3 and /opt/kde3.

--
Daniel Stone                                     <dstone@trinity.unimelb.edu.au>
Developer, Trinity College, University of Melbourne