Re: font problem kde3.1.1 / X11_4.3

On Saturday 29 Mar 2003 12:10 pm, Henning Moll wrote:
> On Saturday 29 March 2003 01:52, Alan Chandler wrote:
> > If you want to get away from the ugly fonts you can also specify a font
> > for "fixed" by doing something like the following in
> > /etc/fonts/local.conf [...]
> > <match>
> > 	<test name="family">
> > 		<string>fixed</string>
> > 	</test>
> > 	<edit name="family" mode="assign" binding="strong">
> > 		<string>console</string>
> > 	</edit>
> > </match>
>
> Hey, the above worked! Thank you very mutch!
>
> Now i wonder if this is a thing that everybody using Ralfs packages has to
> do, or if there is something special to my system?
>
> If the first case, should this be an default in /etc/fonts/local.conf ?
> if the later, what should i check?

What you are doing by adding this to local.conf is tell all applications that
when they request a font with family name 'fixed' that they are now
requesting a font with family name 'console'

The reason you probably had ugly fonts is that when searching for fonts it
found a great many fonts with the family name 'fixed' The first one it found
will be used, and this could well be one with what is essentially japanese
and western characters.  Font width is set at the largest of all characters
in the font.  I single stepped my way through fontconfig and on _my_ system
it found a font /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/12x14ja.pcf.gz as the first one
that matches all the criteria.  This seems to be in xfonts-base debian
package with is a required package for the xserver. So you can't just remove
the package as it takes the xserver with it (xserver fails to start if it
cannot find any 'fixed' font.

So I am not sure what is the correct approach to fixing this.  My use of
local.conf was a last desparate attempt to find a quick solution.

There used to be a bug in the console fonts that prevented fontconfig seeing
them as 'console' so you may be over pleased with the actual exchange.  I
don't know whether Ralf's .debs have that later version of the font.  If
there is no actual console font found, fontconfig will look for all fonts
that match the "Hint" that konsole gives gives QT.  This hint translates
eventually into the family name "monospaced" - and if you look in
/etc/fonts/fonts.conf you will see this is aliased to a number of real fonts.
Fontconfig will use one closest to the first in the list that is actually
installed on your system.

The console font is quite "chunky" compared to most of the 'fixed' fonts that
come with debian, so it will be obvious if you have used it.
- --
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk