Re: font problem kde3.1.1 / X11_4.3

On Friday 28 Mar 2003 11:20 pm, Henning Moll wrote:
> Hi!
> I updated my system to kde3.1.1 / X11_4.3 using Ralfs packages. Mostly
> everything works perfect, but one exception: The font, used by 'konsole'
> looks like this:
>  V e r y  u g l y

What you are seeing is a problem with fontconfig.  If no specific font is
specified it uses the general "monospaced" font.  Font config looks up one
and finds (apparently) a Japanese font that has erroneously indicated that it
is monspaced and has some very wide glyphs (characters).  Since the spacing
of a monospaced font is determined by the size of the largest glyph you get
to see the western characters (that are in the font too).

> (it is also bold...)
> I found some things about defining font aliases from 'mono' to 'fixed' via
> XftConfig, but then i realized, that this was already there.
> I also noticed that the 'font installer' in the Control Center does not
> provide any font for a normal user ('No Fonts'). If i switch to
> administrator mode, a dialog pops up saying: "File does not exist and
> folder is not writeable."
> After that, the fonts list is populated with many entries, but preview does
> not work for any of them.

You need to look at /etc/fonts/fonts.conf.  Near the front it should have some
statements like <dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts</dir> which should list your
font directories (it will also find any subdirectories).  If these are not
right, change them and then run "fc-cache -f -v".

If you want to get away from the ugly fonts you can also specify a font for
"fixed" by doing something like the following in /etc/fonts/local.conf

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<!-- /etc/fonts/local.conf file for local customizations -->

	<test name="family">
	<edit name="family" mode="assign" binding="strong">

This assigns the font "console" to replace the use of fixed.

- --
Alan Chandler
Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (GNU/Linux)