Re: Sid KDE 3.1 upgrade report

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 22:04:46 -0800
Craig Dickson <crdic@pacbell.net> wrote:

> Most things installed, but kdenetwork packages from ~ccheney/kde-other
> got error 404, file not found. Are the above lines not right, or is
> there a problem in the repository?

The sources are right, but you may have problems with meta packages. Try
installing each software you want one by one.

> Also, a few packages from Karolina's repository are not yet available
> in sid or ~ccheney. The ones I particularly want are kgamma and
> noteedit. I gather noteedit has recently been adopted, so hopefully
> we'll see a new build of that soon in Sid. Will someone be making a
> kgamma package?

That, I leave up to somebody else since I don't know if it is planned.
Try contacting Karolina or KDE maintainers, or do a apt-get source
-build.

> 1. Keyboard repeat rate. KDE Control Center lets you enable or disable
> keyboard repeat, but you cannot set the initial delay time or repeat
> rate.

See the Option "AutoRepeat" in your XF86Config-4.

> 2. Locale setting. KDE keeps leaving me with LANG=C. I have selected
> English, USA in KDE Control Center's locale panel, but this seems not
> to have any effect on the environment variables visible in Konsoles.

Environment variables are changed with dpkg-reconfigure locales.
Kcontrol only changes KDE environment.

> 3. Mouse buttons. I have a Microsoft Optical Intellimouse with both a
> wheel and extra side buttons. KDE seems to offer no convenient way to
> initialize this correctly so that the scroll wheel works right.

See your XF86Config-4, Option "ZAxisMapping".

> My current hacked-up fix for this is to give myself a fix for #4 by
> invoking $HOME/.kdestart from /etc/kde3/debian/startkde, just after
> the invocation of ksplash. In $HOME/.kdestart, I call xmodmap to set
> up the mouse buttons, kbdrate to set up the keyboard repeat rate, and
> invoke my$HOME/.bash_profile to initialize my environment. Are there
> better solutions?

All your problems are XFree-related. Try fixing them in your config
rather than in KDE.

--
Lucas Moulin <lucas@brebis.org>
"I wish I had a shilling for every senseless killing, I'd buy a