Re: Fonts are a big concern for Debian, IMHO

On Tuesday 20 August 2002 14:20, Emanuele Gissi wrote:

> I added the following line to /etc/X11/Xftconfig:
>
> match any family == "Helvetica"		edit family = "Arial";
>
> but it did not work...

Yes, XftConfig is confusing isn't it?

Hopefully Qt 3.1 will support Xft2/fontconfig and this will be replaced
by something a lot simpler.

Anyway, try this, it's only a subtle difference, but it sort-of works
for me:

match any family == "Helvetica"         edit family += "Arial";

Even then, Qt's current font selection strategy seems a little buggy -
even with this font substitution, Qt still sometimes seems to pick
Helvetica rather than Arial.

I have both a bitmap and a Type1 Helvetica installed as well as TrueType
Arial.

In Konqueror, for font sizes that have a corresponding bitmap Helvetica
available, it chooses the bitmap version.  For all other sizes, it sees
the font substitution and chooses Arial.

In KWord, it gives me exactly what I ask it - if I ask it for bitmap
Helvetica, it gives me that.  If I ask for Type1 Helvetica, it gives me
that.  If I ask for Arial, it gives me Arial.

In neither case is it doing what I want it to do, which is to ALWAYS
give me Arial even if I explicitly ask for Helvetica.  :(

--
marm