Re: Install kde in Sid fails - depends libkmid... - How fix?

--- Brian Bilbrey <bilbrey@orbdesigns.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 01:40:55AM -0800, tluxt2@yahoo.com wrote:
> > I just tried a fresh install of Sid & KDE.  Package "kde" refused to
> > install, (although "kdebase" did install), because of a couple
> > nonessential packages.   How can this be overcome?
> >

> I ran into this last weekend. The problem at that time was that libkmid
> is dependent explicitly on libglib1.3-12. That's not available any more,
> being superceded by libglib1.3-13. What I did was track down a copy of
> libglib1.3-12xxxx.deb,

If it is not available anymore, how did you track it down? (See below,
also.)

> and manually install it using dpkg. THEN I
> installed libkmid, then I installed KDE.
>
> Fundamentally, when I run into problems like yours in unstable, I simply
> try installing down the chain until I find out what the holdup is. If,
> for instance, you had followed up your first failure with
>
> apt-get install libkmid
>
> You  would have found the dependency, then tried to install the
> libglib1.3-12 and run into the same thing I did.  You'll need, perhaps,
> to do the same with the kdebase3-audiolibs (and you do want to track
> kdebase3, I'm pretty sure).

OK, I tried what you suggested and found the same problem as you found.
Here are some questions:

1)  Is there some way to tell "apt-get install kde" to just install
whatever it can, and ignore any unmet dependency problems?  (This would
save me a _lot_ of extra learning & work right now, which is an acceptable
tradeoff to me at this point, knowing some things will not be fully
installed.)

2)  Is there a way to set up apt to automatically & safely solve problems
of this kind?  Perhaps by using the following 'default release' procedure?

[Hmm, my guess is that this probably won't solve this problem. :( ]

    create the file /etc/apt/apt.conf
    and put in it only the following line:
      APT::Default-Release "testing";]

  And, to install a package do:
    apt-get install <package>/unstable
  [in my case:
    apt-get install kde/unstable]

3)  How do I find ("track down") a copy of the correct package?
I couldn't find "libglib" at:
http://204.152.189.120/debian/pool/main/libg/

4)  How can it be installed? -
Will something like (making appropriate substitutions)
"apt-get install libglib1.3-12xxxx.deb" work?
If not, do you have a url or pointer to what I'd need to read to learn how
to use dpkg to do this package install?

5)  How know which package is the correct one I need to dl & install?

When I do:
apt-get -s install libkmid
or been moved out of Incoming.

  libkmid: Depends: libglib1.3-12 (>= 1.3.12) but it is not installable

That shows ">=".

That is different from what you said:
> The problem at that time was that libkmid
> is dependent explicitly on libglib1.3-12. That's not available any more,
> being superceded by libglib1.3-13.

So, if it has been supersceded by 1.3-13, why doesn't apt-get obtain
1.3-13, which would satisfy ">= 1.3.12"?
- Oh, is this why: the "-13" doesn't refer to the same thing as the ".13"?

So, is 1.3-13 being required, but is not available yet?

(Maybe I should try looking into this more deeply using "apt-cache show
libglib1", or showpkg, or?)

6)  How would one know one wants kdebase3-audiolibs, not
kdebase-audiolibs?  Do you have a pointer to something that tells me about
what kdebase, and kdebase3 are, and how I could determine which I want in
my case?

7)  Since:
apt-get -s install kdebase3-audiolibs
Package kdebase3-audiolibs has no available version, but exists in the
database.
This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and
never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents
of sources.list
E: Package kdebase3-audiolibs has no installation candidate

Where do I look next to start tracking this down?

Thanks for your help!