Re: libqt2 - 18 Works

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 01:45:16AM -0700, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:
> I'm not saying much for 2 reasons.
>
>   1) I've been out of town and have not had the time to respond to email
>   2) The problem is NOT in libqt
>
> There is no problem with the dependencies.  The problem lies in libpng.  All
> I did with a new libqt upload was force a resolution before the problem
> occured.   libpng3 is not backwards compatable and yet both -dev packages
> provide libpng-dev.

Why should anyone expect libpng3 to be backwards compatible with
libpng2? By definition bumping the major version number implies a break
in compatibility. This happens with all non-versioned-symbol libraries
unless they rename all their symbols, you just can't link different
versions of them into the same executable unless the library takes
special pains to keep its own copy private.

I don't see why libpng*-dev shouldn't provide libpng-dev. For packages
that depend on libpng and not Qt/GNOME, it's not a problem. Packages
with special requirements should have carefully controlled dependencies,
which implies not using incompatible virtual packages.