Re: Strange memory consumption of some kde-apps!

Am Donnerstag, 3. Januar 2002 15:47 schrieb Andreas Beckermann:
> Hi
>
> On Thursday 03 January 2002 12:08, Olaf Stetzer wrote:
> > Now to my problem: Some kde apps as well as others consume a lot
> > of physical memory for no reason. This is related to the problem I
> > posted yesterday about xfs. I now deleted xfs and so the Xserver is
> > consuming a very big amount of memory. Here is a list of some
> > programms currently running (size from kap):
> > X: 	92 MB
> > knotes:	22 MB
> > alarmd:	21 MB
> > kap:	16 MB
> > klaptopdaemon:	16 MB
>
> Where do you have these numbers from? top and friends? I don't know kap...
> Don't believe top and friends. They lie at you. See
> http://developer.kde.org/documentation/other/shared_memory.html
> The "problem" is shared memory. Shared memory is only allocated once in
> memory but it is shown for every program that uses this memory. So all
> programs together can take 200 MB of memory although you have only 128
> MB...

Sorry a typo. kap is kpm! About believing the numbers: Yes and no. Even the
used physical memory (RSS in top) is very high for these programs and I got
killed processes due to the Out of Memory killer! When I log in (freshly
booted) via kdm into kde2 my memory & swap is nearly "full" (command: free)
and I habe 128 MB ram and 100 MB swap! There is something wrong here!

Olaf

--
Dr. Olaf Stetzer
Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe