Re: automatic screen blanking

Am Dienstag, 30. Oktober 2001 10:57 schrieb Russell Coker:
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 21:41, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> > Am Montag, 29. Oktober 2001 07:29 schrieb Russell Coker:
> > > In KDE 1.x there was a kscreenblank process which I could send a
> > > sigusr1 to when I wanted the screen blanked.  I used to have a script
> > > called from apmd on suspend to do "killall -USR1 kblankscreen" to lock
> > > the display on my laptop.
> > >
> > > Is there any way of doing this for the latest KDE?
> >
> > Sure, you mean DPMS. Kcontrol -> Energy settings
> >
> > For manual override of those values, take a look at xset
>
> It doesn't do what I want.
>
> xset requires Xauthority which means that I have to know all the details of
> the user logged in ("killall -USR1 kscreenblank" worked without needing to
> know such things).
>
> "xset s activate" blanks the screen for < 1 second (before the screen
> returns to normal).  I had this working before, but it only did X screen
> blanking (not KDE screen blanking) and didn't require a password to restore
> the screen.  As my aim is to invoke a password lock this is no use.

Hmm, what about those options:
To control Energy Star (DPMS) features:
        -dpms      Energy Star features off
        +dpms      Energy Star features on
         dpms [standby [suspend [off]]]
              force standby
              force suspend
              force off
              (also implicitly enables DPMS features)
              a timeout value of zero disables the mode

So a simple "xset dpms force off" should turn off the monitor.
I am not sure if you have to enable DPMS in the XF86Config-4 first, I do.

HS

PS: Please do not CC: me, send posts only to the list _or_ private.

        oder über pgp.net

PingoS - Linux-User helfen Schulen: http://www.pingos.schulnetz.org