Re: automatic screen blanking

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 21:41, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> Am Montag, 29. Oktober 2001 07:29 schrieb Russell Coker:
> > In KDE 1.x there was a kscreenblank process which I could send a sigusr1
> > to when I wanted the screen blanked.  I used to have a script called from
> > apmd on suspend to do "killall -USR1 kblankscreen" to lock the display on
> > my laptop.
> >
> > Is there any way of doing this for the latest KDE?
>
> Sure, you mean DPMS. Kcontrol -> Energy settings
>
> For manual override of those values, take a look at xset

It doesn't do what I want.

xset requires Xauthority which means that I have to know all the details of
the user logged in ("killall -USR1 kscreenblank" worked without needing to
know such things).

"xset s activate" blanks the screen for < 1 second (before the screen returns
to normal).  I had this working before, but it only did X screen blanking
(not KDE screen blanking) and didn't require a password to restore the
screen.  As my aim is to invoke a password lock this is no use.