Re: to stop the thread over conffiles...

Sorry, I disregard that subject line - in agree with that solution except for
one detail:

As a sysad, I do not like to edit anything beneath /usr by hand (exception:
/usr/local) up to now, the only reason to ever do such a thing was to workaround
bugs until a new debian-package came out. Usually, in backing up a complete
system, I regard it to be completely restorable with only the original packages
at hand and a backup of everything except /usr. (again, /usr/local is the
exception) No idea whether that idea is compliant with the policy, but up to
now, it has always worked.

Therefore, the correct place for the system wide override directory should be
/etc/kde/{applnk,mimelnk,servcises,servicetypes} which might well be empty by
default. Actually, I believe having both /usr/share/kde/applnk and
/usr/share/applnk with different meaning would cause a lot of confusion. IMO,
the second option should be dropped and replaced by a /etc/kde/applnk (empty by
default)