Re: Struggling to set up a development environment

> >> However, with debian storing the libraries in different places, and
> >> (maybe) kmail latest CVS needing I am not sure where to start.
> >
> >huh?  why does debian store the libraries in different places?
> >
> I thought that if you didn't set ./configure --prefix= then things got
> built into /usr/local/kde/{lib,bin,share ...}
>
> My misunderstanding here is partially at the root of my problem

ohh...yes...default goes elsewhere... however most distro's drop stuff
in /usr as that's FHS.

> >> Can I have some simple advice as to where to start this process.
> >
> >simple advice:
> >
> >   If youre going to try building anything out of CVS HEAD branch (ie what
> >will become 2.2) you need to build and install kdelibs from the same branch
> >first.
>
> I am trying to build out of the CVS HEAD branch
>
> In my original post (not quoted in your reply) I tried building
> kdelibs, but was getting a failure in kio/ftp with ftp.cc failing to
> compile.  It complained that QString QApplication::translate .....
> (can't remember the exact string right now) in qapplication.h was
> trying to cast a char * to a QString (again not sure if this was exact
> problem, but it was something like this).
>
> Now I assume that there is something wrong with my headers for
> libqt-dev rather than there being a real error in kdelibs.  This is
> where I was worrying about directories and maybe setting QTDIR
> environment variables etc.  In other words my overall confusion about
> directories etc that I started my post with.

no...the problem is most likely with kdelibs...welcome to the world of
CVS HEAD.  it breaks constantly...  If the problem was with QT qt-copy
would have been patched already..which it hasn't.

> So by "simple advice" I meant both what you have given me in terms of
> where to break the link between .debs and source from CVS (thank you)
> and some clue as to whether I need to set these environment variables
> and what to.

if you use HEAD CVS, be prepared for it to not work, work, or be totally
incompatable with anything else at any point in time...remember it's not
even beta yet.

> The secondary problem - which I didn't articulate at all in the
> original message was how to get this lot recognised as a project
> within kdevelop.  I tried building a project with the wizard and
> "custom" settings, but I am then not sure how to set it up so that it
> recognises all the files within.  In order to add files to the project
> it seems to need to copy them from where ever they are into the
> project directory (despite trying to set the project directory as the
> one the source is already in).

I cant' answer this..I know jack about kdevelop...sorry.

Ivan

--
Ivan E. Moore II