Struggling to set up a development environment

I have a full kde-debian setup based fundementally on woody, with the
potato versions of  kde downloaded from kde.debian.net.

Utimately I would like to understand the source of KMail, so that I
can make some changes to it to make it meet my requirements.  Ideally
what I would like to do is use kdevelop to set up a project with the
source of kmail downloaded from the repository and firstly just read
the code before building it, but ultimately to make changes to it
which I think will achieve the functionality I want.

However, with debian storing the libraries in different places, and
(maybe) kmail latest CVS needing I am not sure where to start.

I originally started with XFree 4.0.3 (initially by removing xfree
using dselect)- but when I found there were two many dependancies on
it I tried leaving 4.0.2 in place and just building the new source
over the top.  However kdm wouldn't start (much as other people have
posted for other reasons).  So I gave up that idea and went back to
version 4.0.2 loaded from the woody .debs.

Then I thought I would build QT from the source up.  However, I wanted
to keep an operational kde to work with, so just tryed to build a QT
ourside of the current setup (in /usr/local).  This failed, presumable
because it was looking at the wrong libqt, because during creation of
the examples it failed complaining that a number of routines were
missing (can't remember them all, but one was something like
FT_Init_Freetype which of coure should have been in libfreetype6-dev
package which is installed).

Having failed there, I ensured package libqt-dev wa installed and used
cvsup to get latest development source - downloading modules
kde-common, kdelibs and kdenetwork.

If I try and build kdelibs it fails during the compilation ftp.cc in
directory kio/ftp - complaining about a type mismatch in the
qapplication.h header file. No idea what this is other than thinking I
am getting some form of mismatch between the kdelibs-dev already
installed

If I try and build kdenetwork (with kdelibs failing to build but with
kdelibs(3?)-dev installed) it fails saying it can't locate kdmcodec.h
whilst trying to compile dict.cpp in the kdict subirectory of
kdenetwork. Does this mean that the later versions of kmail need
updated libraries?

What I want to do is set up the right development environment to build
this code up.  But I just don't know where I have to break into the
cycle so that a base level of stuff is standard .debs (with all the
dependencies managed etc) and where I have to switch over to building
from tarballs or source.

Can I have some simple advice as to where to start this process.

Alan

alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk
http://www.chandler.u-net.com
http://www.chandler.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk