Re: Struggling to set up a development environment

> However, with debian storing the libraries in different places, and
> (maybe) kmail latest CVS needing I am not sure where to start.

huh?  why does debian store the libraries in different places?

[...]

> If I try and build kdenetwork (with kdelibs failing to build but with
> kdelibs(3?)-dev installed) it fails saying it can't locate kdmcodec.h
> whilst trying to compile dict.cpp in the kdict subirectory of
> kdenetwork. Does this mean that the later versions of kmail need
> updated libraries?
>
> What I want to do is set up the right development environment to build
> this code up.  But I just don't know where I have to break into the
> cycle so that a base level of stuff is standard .debs (with all the
> dependencies managed etc) and where I have to switch over to building
> from tarballs or source.
>
> Can I have some simple advice as to where to start this process.

simple advice:

   If youre going to try building anything out of CVS HEAD branch (ie what
will become 2.2) you need to build and install kdelibs from the same branch
first.

Ivan

--
Ivan E. Moore II