Re: Desktop-profiles and CDD (Was: how create a Debian/junior user session only under Debian/Etch)

On Mon, 12 May 2008, Ben Armstrong wrote:

If I'm obstructing progress in the Debian Jr. project and others want
to move it forward, perhaps it's time I just step down and see where it
goes.  There is a queue of changes that are really quite simple that
need to be done to some metapackages and they are indeed showing signs
of age.  They are, as Andreas argued earlier, and I did not heed, more
trouble to maintain this way than any small advantage that might be
gained by being able to release packages individually.

BTW, Jonas Smedegaard told me that you build your control information
based on DebTags which is currently not supported automatically in the
tasks files of cdd-dev.  What I could imagine is a little shell script
that checks the packages that are marked with a certain DebTag and just
issue a warning if the package is not in the tasks list.  This should
more or less as an equivalent to a functionality I would regard very
reasonable.

The one thing that keeps me from giving it up, other than an emotional
attachment to my first Debian subproject, is that I have not seen a
clear successor to take over the reins.  What the project needs is
someone with the skill, both technically and with working with people,
vision, and energy to keep the project moving forwards.

This is *definitely* needed.  I'm clearly convinced that it needs a
person that gives his love to the project to maintain the basic stuff.
While the good news is that I'm quite optimistic that we make good
progress to enhance common CDD tools that take over the grunt work
via automatisation you need a head of the project.  This head might
be technically hidden behind "Maintainer: [mailinglist]" - but it
needs a real soul to push the project further.

However, Ben, I fail to see the reason why you connect a technical
change (individual packages - cdd-dev builded packages) with an
organizational change.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--