Re: how create a Debian/junior user session only under Debian/Etch

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 10:33:45AM +0200, Salokine Terata wrote:
> I found http://wiki.debian.org/DebianJr/SpecialSession
>
> Is it possible to use a .desktop file in the home user directory ?
> In this article, we need to use super-user to write in /usr/share/xsessions/

I'm honestly not sure if you can use a .desktop file in the home
directory, but you *can* call different programs on startup. If you
want your junior user to just run gcompris, for example, you could
create ~/.xsession with the line

exec /usr/games/gcompris

this would start just the game gcompris as the user's Xsession.  You
will have to use gdm to select "user's .xsession" or soemthing like
that under the session menu. That will then execute just the .xsession
file.

> I think this article is what I search...
> If you know other things better, say me.

really, to make it work nice and smooth, and to allow other users to
run a similar type of session like that described in the wiki, you
should put that desktop file in /usr/share/xsessions/. It's a one time
action, and from then on that "session" will be available in the menu
of gdm.

> > Do you know how to create a pure Debian/Junior X session for my child ?
> > I'm using a Debian/Etch and I don't want to Install all Debian/junior
> > distrib, but just configure a Deb/junior session (with all packages +
> > graphic user environment).

you seem to be on the right track already, but be aware that there
currently isn't any such thing as a "deb/junior session". You pretty
much have to set it up yourself as described in the wiki.