Re: Job: simplified creation of Debian Jr. accounts

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 02:00:17PM -0400, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 09:13:23 -0400
> Ben Armstrong <synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:
> > I think adduser-ng meets these needs.
> >
> > Would anyone like to take a crack at trying it out and writing a plugin to create accounts with various default desktops for different age ranges?
>
> Hm, adduser-ng is orphaned[1] since 18 Nov 2006 due to the upstream maintainer no longer being active.  This is not a good sign.

well, not having looked at adduser-ng, I would have to say all you
really need is something that can speak .xinitrc or, if using *dm,
then whatever is needed for those sessions. Some kind of interface
that can take a user name and set a sane default for the age group
would be a good start

basement: # jruser-setup joey --age 2 --no-password --use-gdm

a simple command like this could speak gdm, create the session
scripts needed to boot straight into gcompris for the user joey with
no password required for login. even better, it could check ps and see
what environment, if any is running and make the sane choice.

Am I in a position to write this? heck no, but that gives and idea of
what I was thinking. i could write the man page is someone could take
that and build the app.