Re: What I need for my kids

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 22:05:33 -0800
Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 06:50:59PM -0400, Ben Armstrong wrote:
>
> > What do you think of gcompris?  It embeds tuxpaint.  It is a self-contained environment with activities for kids.
>
> I played with gcompris a bit... its pretty cool and is definitely a
> good interface for 3 to at least probably 6 or 7. It seems to be
> slightly broken in sid though.

I'll see if I can reproduce your problem.  Meanwhile, go ahead and file a bug.

> that said, if it did work, you could certainly use gcompris as a total
> environment for the very small. just putting it in .xinitrc works
> great.

This is the direction I'm biased towards, rather than some sort of configuration front-end as you suggested.  Keep on adding to the wiki so that our users can easily find out how to configure their Debian systems to suit the needs of their child users.

I've always kept the Jr project's code as lightweight as possible, preferring to do everything via mere configuration.  If a configuration front-end for managing user accounts is generally useful, then it should be worthwhile as a separate project of its own.  If such a thing manages to get off the ground, and we agree that it would make things easier for our users, then we can evaluate it if-and-when it becomes available.

Of course, I wouldn't discourage anyone from participating in such a project if they have something to contribute and feel it would help us.

Ben
--
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg@debian.org